1. What versions of apps are there, how are they different and where to download?
- GymUp is the base version of the app. If you have an android, then install this one. The version is available for free download at Google Play and AppGallery. There are limitations, but they are minimal. For the version from Google Play, there is the possibility of extending the functionality to PRO (subscription or one-time purchase), for AppGallery as of the end of 2021, this is not possible.
- GymUp PRO is a version without any initial restrictions, but requires payment before installation. Visually differs from the base version by the PRO lable on the app icon. In terms of the available functionality, it is completely identical to the base version extended to PRO. Why is it needed then? It happened so historically. The fact is that this version appeared in those distant times when Google Play did not support in-app purchases. And when it started to support it, many thousands of users have already used it. Therefore, this version still exists and is updated simultaneously with the base version. If you already have the base version installed, and you want to update it to PRO, then do it through internal purchases, because it is as simple as possible and does not require data transfer. The version is only available for download at Google Play.
- GymUp for Wear OS - version for watches based on Wear OS platform. The app is not standalone and only works in tandem with the main app on the phone. While you can only add sets from the clock, in the future there will be other possibilities. The app is installed from the main app page on Google Play.
- GymUp iOS version is the only version available for the iOS platform. There are some restrictions that can be removed through an in-app purchase. The version is available for free download from App Store. Data transfer from Android version is possible. The main problem with this version is that it still lags behind the Android version in terms of functionality. On the other hand, many people notice that the design is more pleasant.
2. What are the differences between the base version and the PRO?
Do not worry, the app does not use these dirty tricks, when after working for several weeks, access to the data is blocked and the purchase of the paid version is offered. Access to the entered data is never blocked. Yes, there are a number of restrictions, but they are quite mild and do not greatly affect the usability. Moreover, the functionality that had never been opened before was not blocked with the release of a new version. The list of advantages of the PRO version is available in the app itself, but for convenience I will duplicate it here with some comments. With the PRO version you can:
- use any workout program and any exercise from the handbook (you can always manually add the desired exercise and the desired program)
- receive a complete list of previous results with graphing (the last 5 performing are available on the history screen, other performing can be viewed manually in the desired workout)
- plan an unlimited number of workouts in advance (in the free one you can have no more than 1 not completed, after completing it you can still 1, etc.)
- get a rear view of the body with visualization of the muscles involved (you can also manually estimate)
- receive a complete list of graphs for all measured body parameters (again, you can always see manually, but 6 are available in the summary list)
- receive a complete list of exercise analogues (only 1 in the base version, you can find information on the Internet)
- jump to exercise results directly from the records list (you can manually find the exercise you want)
- use any color palettes to personalize the app (most palettes are available)
- export all data to a text file (you don't have to unload anything and watch everything in the app itself)
As you can see, the limitations are such that there is almost always a workaround that is just a little more complicated.
3. How to use the app?
There are many options! I will roughly describe at least the most probable use case.
- Add a training program. Find the right workout program in the handbook or create it yourself
- Start your workout. If you specify a program when creating a workout, you don't have to add exercises manually.
- Do exercise. Plan and add sets, compare them with the previous ones, use the rest timer, get statistics.
- Finish exercise and workout. Do not forget to complete the exercises in order to remove them to the end of the list, to receive performance statistics and new records. After finishing all exercises - complete the workout and get the results of its performing.
- Watch progress. Get statistics with graphing by exercise, workout, program. Analyze the graphs and draw conclusions.
- Measure body parts periodically. You may not notice changes in your body, but measurements will objectively show everything. You will see the parameters change, which will motivate you to study further and even harder. Take measurements at least before and after the training program.
- Periodically take a photo of the body in various positions. After a while, you will be able to scroll through your photos in a certain position and, comparing neighboring photos, visually see the results of your workouts.
Detailed description of some of the points above:
1. Add a training program
You can create a program entirely by hand, but the easiest way is to try to find a suitable one from the pre-installed ones. There are several options for adding, here is one of them:
- Go to the Programs subsection of the Notebooks section, click "+" and select "Choose from handbook".
- Find and select a suitable program. Use filters, read descriptions and reviews from other users.
- Correct the program if necessary. For example, you can replace some exercises with others (if something is not in the gym) and / or add new ones. You can also set the rest time between sets of each exercise or, for example, change the order of the exercises.
- You can share your program with a friend through a special code, and then he will not have to spend time compiling it
2. Create and start a workout
- In the Notebooks section (or in the Training subsection) press "+". In the window that appears, select the desired program and day (this needs to be done only for the first time, then the program will set the next day automatically). There is an option to schedule a workout - this is useful if you want to plan each exercise and each set in advance, which will save time on your workout. After filling in all the details, click "Start workout"
- You will be taken to a screen with exercises, it is your goal to complete them all.
- There are timers at the bottom. Left - time since the start of the workout, center - since the end of the last exercise, right - since the last set was added in an unfinished exercise
3. Do exercise
- Click on the desired exercise (most likely the first in the list) to "fall into it". If you have done this exercise before, you will see your previous results.
- Based on your performing strategy, previous results, how you were feeling, and more, plan your weight and reps
- Do the set physically (for example, lift the bar 5 times with some weight)
- Input the set, click on the "+", or click on the row of the sets table that is closest to the completed set. It is especially convenient to click on sets if there are already previous results.
- In the screen that appears, enter the weight, reps, and subjective effort (in the future, it will help you better plan sets) and click "Add"
- If there are previous results, then after adding the set, you will immediately see the difference with them. Try to outperform previous results without risking your health.
- The right timer has started counting down. If necessary, change the rest time, in the future this time will automatically be pulled up in the next workout.
- After the signal, do a new set, etc. until the end of the exercise. The signal is just a guideline, the new set can be performed both before and after the signal.
4. Finish exercise and workout
- When you have completed and added all the sets, click the "Finish Exercise" button below the sets table or the flag-icon in the upper right (leads to the same action).
- After finishing the exercise, you may see a notification about a new record. This is a very nice moment, you will love it.
- The completed exercise will move to the bottom of the list. The first exercise on the list is now your next exercise. But you don't have to go in order.
- Start the next exercise
- When you have completed all the exercises, click the "Finish Workout" button or the flag-icon in the upper right
- After finishing your workout, you will see:
a) The results of the workout (tonnage, intensity, number of sets, etc.). If you are doing the program, you will see the difference from the previous workout for that training day.
b) Results of local and cloud backup. The first time you need to configure with some permissions. Do not neglect the backup, believe me, losing your data is a disaster!
c) Sporting fact for the locker room. Reading an amazing fact about sports and discussing it with your friends will make dressing up more fun.
5. Monitoring progress
The app can provide statistics: for all workouts, for workouts for a specific program, for workouts for a specific day of the program, and for exercises. To display statistics, click the button with the lightning bolt at the top right of the corresponding screen. Also, when entering a workout exercise, previous results with statistics on them will be displayed, which will allow you to plan the current sets.
4. How to transfer data from one Android device to another Android device?
The easiest way to do this is through Google Drive. To do this, do the following:
- Export data from your old device: More - Data - Data migration and export - Export to Google Drive
- Import data to a new device: More - Data - Data migration and export - Import from Google Drive
5. How to transfer data from a base version to a standalone PRO?
In general, this has not been required for a long time, since users can extend the capabilities of the base version to PRO without installing a separate app. But if you still need it, then read on.
The first time you launch the PRO version, it will check if the base version is installed. If so, it will offer to transfer data from it. Data transfer is performed via Google Drive and is broken down into a few simple steps. Follow the instructions in the wizard.
If you refused the initial offer of data transfer, and then decided to transfer, then the easiest way is to clear the data of the PRO version and start it again. Well, or use the menu items to export and import data (see another FAQ item)
6. How to transfer data from Android version to iOS version?
- In the android version, export the data to the server. To do this, go to the More - Data - Data migration and export - Export via code. At the end of the export, you will be shown a code with the ability to copy it. Write it down.
- In the iOS version, in the settings, find the appropriate item and select the recovery method via code. Then enter the code and wait for the import to finish.
Attention! Only data is transferred, photos are not transferred. All data in the iOS version will be overwritten.
7. How to transfer data from iOS version to Android version?
Unfortunately, this is not yet possible.
8. Are purchases transferred between the Android version and the iOS version?
No. The android and iOS versions are actually different apps with different monetization models. Therefore, all purchases in one version are not counted in the other. At the moment, only data transfer from Android to iOS is possible.
9. Can I share my workout program with another app user?
Yes, you can. But so far this is only implemented in the Android version of the app. Proceed like this:
- Export the program to the server: enter the required program, open the context menu, select the "Share via code" item. After export, a system dialog will appear prompting you to share the link.
- Pass this link to your friend in any way, for example, via a messenger.
- Import the program from the server: click on the link and follow the instructions of the app. The imported program should appear at the top of the program list.
If the exported program was created on the basis of a closed handbook program, then its addition is possible only in the PRO version.
By the way, the exchange of training programs between users is organized in VK group. Both links and digital codes (old version) are published there. To import a program by numeric code, press the "+" button on the program list screen and select "Import by code".
10. Why is Google Play asking to re-purchase the app?
First of all, you need to understand what exactly you bought. You could buy something from base version, but you could buy a separate one PRO version. You need to install the appropriate version of the app on a new phone.
If everything converges and still offers to buy, then you need to check if you are using the same account on the old and new phone. Google will only see your purchase if you are using the same account you previously used to purchase.
The problem can also be observed if you use a VPN due to the inaccessibility of Google Play. One of the users encountered a similar problem in China and here's how he managed to solve it: "Through VPN When I entered the playmarket from my phone, I offered to pay for the app again. Then I went from my computer to the playmarket through SOCKS (more precisely, I opened an ssh tunnel with a forwarded port" ssh -D8080 ", firefox allows you to forward DNS requests through this proxy too). Everything is fine from the computer in the playmarket, everything is paid for and offered to install immediately, which I did. The next time I connected to the VPN from my mobile phone, the app was installed automatically."
11. I do not use a credit card on the Internet, how can I buy the PRO version?
If you are not using the card for security reasons, then consider issuing a virtual card with minimal limits. It's usually free, fast, and takes just a couple of clicks. If this method is not suitable, then you can:
- Pay with your mobile operator on Google Play
- Pay with PayPal on Google Play
12. I lost / broke / reset my phone, how can I restore the app and data?
It will be easy to restore the app and purchases. The same cannot be said about data recovery ... The point is that user data is not stored on our servers, because GymUp is offline app. But there are a few things you can try. Proceed like this:
- Sign in to Google Play with the same account you used before.
- Install the appropriate version of the app (base or PRO). If Google Play re-offers to buy the app, please see the corresponding FAQ.
- Start the app. If you had the app data backup option activated on your old and new phone, then there is a chance that Android will restore the data automatically.
- If the point above did not work, then try to restore data from Google Drive: More - Data - Backup - Cloud (Google Drive) - Restore database (+ sync photos). This method can only work if you gave the app access to Google Drive on your old phone (backups are performed automatically after each workout).
- If none of the above methods worked, then check if there is a GymUp / Backups folder in the root of the memory card? If so, email email@example.com for further instructions. There will definitely not be fresh backups there, because this backup method ceased to exist in November 2021, but it may at least be possible to restore the old data.
Alas, there is no other way.
13. Can I receive notifications about the end of a rest on a fitness bracelet / watch?
There is no direct interaction between the app and the fitness bracelet yet, but you can configure a dedicated bracelet app to vibrate when a gymup notification is received. You also need to set the More - Settings - Rest timer - Main signal - Show notifications. Then, in addition to the signal and vibration of the phone (sometimes you can skip them), the bracelet will also vibrate. If notifications appear, but there is no vibration on the bracelet, then try using the system alarm (More - Settings - Rest timer - System signaling).
If it does not work and you have an android 8+, then open the system dialog "About the app", go to the "Notifications" screen, then to the "Time expired" channel and turn everything on there to the maximum.
14. How do I reselect my Google Drive account?
More - Settings - General - Disconnect from Google Drive - Connect to Google Drive - select the desired account.
15. The sound of the end of the rest time disappeared. How to return?
If there is no sound only when the app is minimized and / or the screen is turned off, then see another paragraph of this FAQ.
Next comes a list of actions. After each step, check for sound. This is easiest to do, for example, by starting a dummy workout and changing the rest time to 5 seconds. Just add an set, wait 5 seconds and listen to see if there is sound.
- Open More - Settings - Rest Timer
- Disable the System Signaling option
- In the "Main Alarm" section, set the "Sound" option to "Built-in 1"
- If the option Audio Stream = Notifications, then make sure that you do not have silent or Do Not Disturb mode turned on
- Check the phone volume for the selected audio stream in the app. The phone has several audio streams and their volume can be controlled separately. Make sure that the audio stream is not mistaken when turning up the volume.
- Disable the "Mute Music" option
- Change the value of the "Audio Stream" option and check the volume of the selected audio stream on your phone again.
- Enable the "System Signaling" option
- In the "Main Alarm" section, set the "Show notification" option (notification in the curtain will be accompanied by a sound)
- Check the volume of the phone's audio stream "Notifications"
- Make sure that you have selected any default signal for notifications in your phone settings
- If you have Android 8 Oreo and higher, then go to the system settings of the app in the "Notifications" section and set the "Show notifications" option. Then enter the "Time expired" channel and set the "Show notifications" option and the "Sound" option. On some phones, you can also set the desired sound here.
16. I used to training in silent mode, but it does not play app sounds. What to do?
Select Audio Stream Media (More - Settings - Rest Timer - Audio Stream = Media)
17. I use bluetooth headphones, but for some reason the sound is also played on the phone. How to fix it?
This can happen when choosing a system signaling method. Disable it (More - Settings - Rest timer - System Signaling) and set up all alarm methods inside the app.
18. I listen to music on headphones, but the sound from the app is too loud or quiet. How do I adjust the volume?
To do this, select the Notifications audio stream (More - Settings - Rest timer - Audio stream = Notifications). Next, set the desired sound volume from the app by adjusting the Notifications audio stream (if music is playing, another stream will be regulated). Once you find the optimal one, you can set the desired volume percentage that the app will set every time you create a workout (More - Settings - Workout - Workout Creation - Set volume level)
19. When the screen is off, the end-of-rest signal is not triggered. I turn on the screen - the signal goes off immediately, but it's too late. What to do?
This is due to the fact that some firmware by default "choke" the background work of the app. Those the app as if asks the phone to call it at a certain time, but the firmware prohibits this. To fix the problem, you need to allow the app to run in the background. It is difficult to give exact instructions on how to do this. Therefore, you can either try to enable everything you can on the system "About app" screen, or set the settings given on the site dontkillmyapp.com.
If that doesn't help, then try turning on an alternative way of waking up inside the app: More - Settings - Rest timer - Alternative way to wake up = On.
20. An annoying sound (loud, squeaking, etc.), what can you do with it?
There are several options for what you can do with sound. I will give them in the recommended order - try starting from the 1st until you achieve the desired results.
- Decrease sound volume. To do this, after starting a workout, set the desired level, or use the option to automatically set the desired volume level when creating a workout: More - Settings - Workout - Workout creation - Set volume level = 30% (or even 10%).
- Change of sound. Perhaps the other sound will not be annoying. It changes like this: More - Settings - Rest timer - Main signal - Sound. There is also an option in the same settings to switch to the system alarm and configure notification channels on the system screen "About the app"
- Mute the sound temporarily. Use the "Silent" mode for training - it will work if the app is set to Audio stream = Notifications (this is the default value)
- Completely mute the sound. More - Settings - Rest timer - Main alarm - Sound = Off. There is also an option in the same settings to switch to the system alarm and set up notification channels on the system screen "About the app" (mute)
- Disable auto-calculation of rest time. If no rest time is specified, then the app has nothing to notify the user about. To disable automatic rest time calculation, use the More - Settings - Workout - Workout creation - Calculation of rest for exercises = Disabled. If the rest time continues to be pulled up into the workout, then it was set on the day of the program or in the repeated workout.
21. How is the effort of an exercise and workout calculated?
The effort of the exercise is calculated based on the effort of the working sets. The effort of the workout is calculated based on the effort of the exercises and working sets. Both parameters can be manually adjusted.
22. How do I create a superset or circle?
To create a superset, follow 2 simple steps:
- Add all the exercises you want as singles
- Select the exercises you want in the list and select the "Combine to superset" menu item. Press and hold the exercise to enter selection mode.
You can add an exercise in the same way or through the "Add exercise" button inside the superset. It is also possible to extract an exercise from a superset or extract all exercises at once.
23. How can I change the order of exercises?
To do this, use the special area with ten dots on the right. In the day, you can move all the exercises, and in the workout, just not started yet.
24. How can I remove unnecessary exercises from the handbook?
You cannot delete, but you can hide it. To do this, you need to apply a filter. The most flexible option is to add all the exercises you need to Favorites and apply the appropriate filter. To add an exercise to your Favorites, you need to enter its description and click on the star in the upper right. It is also possible to add all previously performed exercises to Favorites (More - Data - Corrections - Exercises to favorites).
If necessary, you can reset the filter and access previously hidden exercises.